Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

~ spontaneous sprinkler & {super} hero fun ~

This idea has been brewing for a while and I finally had a chance to work on it over the long Labor Day weekend and finished it last week. In fact, this is the first thing that I've done since school started!
I think that I may have seen a sketch quite similar to page one, but I'm not certain where I saw it or who created it! I have a feeling that it could be an Ashley Horton sketch, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so if you are reading this Ashley, maybe you could confirm or deny?  :-) Either way, I took the idea of the first page, and then expanded it into the second page with patterned papers instead of photographs. I think if I were doing it over again, I might spread the photographs onto both pages with some patterned papers between, but maybe not. I am happy with the final product, although I did make some mistakes, as usual. My goal of this post is to show you the new stuff that I tried, and show how I fixed the boo boos. Often times I visit blogs and it seems like it's all so easy for everyone else! I appreciate it when I get to read that others just have to go with it sometimes, too!

New to me:  I used DIYthickers for the first time! I'll admit that I have been a bit intimidated by them in the past. I don't really know why, but I think it's because I hate to "waste" things and I'm afraid I will mess them up! Not only did I use them, I tried a new-to-me technique!  Glitter Girl challenged us all at  2 Peas to get our ombre on.  So I did (of course I missed the actual challenge because I couldn't get it finished in time, but oh well)! Here is what I did...
I started by dipping the bottom of a letter in some spray mist that I had sprayed onto a plate. I was hoping that it would soak in some color and wick up, becoming lighter as it goes.  Nope. Take two.  I sprayed the ink directly onto the letter, covering the top with a piece of scraps. Next, I took a wet paintbrush, starting at the bottom I brushed up to pull some of the color up.  It sorta worked.  I wasn't really thinking when I started and I took the first two letters off the backing (so the sticky was a problem), plus they got too wet, so I had to toss those (into my daughters pile of stuff that she will later glue onto something).  When I kept the letters on the backing, it worked a little bit better.  I would suggest having a paper towel handy for several reasons, but mainly because it comes in handy if you get too much color, or it goes up to high (I did both of these things, of course)!  The paper towel just soaks up all that extra, right quick like! I think I will get better at this when I try it again next time, but it was fun and it's not horrible, so I went with it! To connect the two pages I also ombre-d (it's a word, really) the "love this memory" (stamp by AE) after I stamped it!
Also to connect the two pages I tried to stick to circles as much as possible.  I did this in several ways.  First and foremost, many of the patterned papers that I chose had circles in them (the September Scrapbook Circle kit that I used for most of my supplies was full of circles).  But I also added several other things like:  I stitched concentric circles on page one around and through the title.  I punched circles out of the yellow patterned paper and put them in the center of other circles.  I carried the circles out of the center and overlapped them onto the photos and patterned paper.  I used brads and flair as embellishments.  I also used a circle mask and added yellow circles to two of the papers that didn't have circles on them! I did a lot of stuff on this one!  It's even heavy.
See that second page?  The photo was supposed to be where it says "Even superheroes need a rest", with the journaling to the left (where the photo is now) but I messed up!  There are several layers of gesso under there (part of why it is so heavy I bet)!  I just kept trying and trying, but no worky, so I stuck the photo over it!!!  The thing that was holding me up was the journaling!  It seems that often it's the journaling that gets in the way of me completing layouts!  I'm committed to getting the story down, it's must of the reason that I scrap to be honest -- document, document, document -- so I'd be disappointed if I didn't journal.  And I'm never at a loss for words (I know that's difficult to believe).  The hold up is the how.  Do I put it on strips? Do I hide the journaling? Do I using a journaling card? (etc.) As you can see, I ended up journaling on strips and sticking them up in the corner. One all else fails, that's usually my default.  It's easy and if you mess up, it's easy for the do-overs!  This is one of those layouts that I am just glad I finished.  It's OK, not my favorite -- but it's done.

What holds you up from finishing a layout?

..::non-manifesto progress::.. 




8 comments:

  1. This is sooooooo beautiful!! I loveeeeeee the photos and love love love the colors and the circles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything about this is totally fun and awesome! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten. We need to get together soon (we keep saying that)!

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm...I can't think of any of mine that have the same design, but I think your page turned out FAB-U-LOUS!! I love it all...the Shoreline papers, the stitching, the large photo with the smaller ones on the left hand page. It is really an awesome double papger!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really thought it was your sketch. Hmmm...it's still a mystery.

      Delete