Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

Scrap Your Story Challenge :: my lucky charms

YAY!  It's Friday!  That means a new challenge goes live on the Scrap Your Challenge Blog.  Each month we follow this challenge schedule:

Week 1: Use it (you will be given an item you must incorporate).
Week 2: Theme (your layout and/or photos needs to show this theme).
Week 3: Sketch (flip it, rotate it, tweak it...as long as we can see the basics there).
Week 4: Technique (we will describe/show a technique you must include somewhere). 
This is challenge number three of the month so it involves a sketch! 


Here's Christy's sketch:

And here is my take on the sketch :
I don't do very many themed LOs, I'm more of a every day sorta memory keeper, but this photo from a couple of years ago needed to be showcased!

I found this four leaf clover overlay by Skyber Lowen while browsing the Silhouette online store and was inspired to use it as a mask. Then I decided that I wanted to create something that incorporated the Irish flag. 

First, I copied (and pasted) the 6x6 overlay and stuck them together to make a 6x12 cut. It took some time to get all the settings right but finally I got this:

Beautiful, right?  See why I had to use it??!!!!! Then I got out my mists and a piece of white card stock.  I used a couple different greens and tried to ombre it a bit, then I did the same on the other side with orange. OK, it's true, you caught me. Really, I just wanted to make a flag so I could get some orange in there...but it works for me. ;-) I ended up covering it up with the photograph, but there is a little overspray (very little) in the middle, so you can actually see the mask on the white part, but it still looks white! This is good to know in case I decide to do something like this in the future!  Next, I took out some Heidi Swap color shine (in two colors) for the splotches of paint in the lower left and upper right  corners. I like the shine, but I didn't want it on the whole page, plus this helped the dots of color stand out a bit more, I was thinking.  Then I let it dry for a couple of days. (mostly I needed thinking time)!

I decided that I wanted to try to bring out the gold in B's hat,  and I've been hoarding this Crate Paper Vellum with gold dots since December, so I decided it was time to use it! Next I found some awesome glittery gold card stock and I used that behind the photo. LOVE.  I was really digging all the gold so I found gold glitter and gold washi from my stash.  (The washi was in my stash, but can you believe I didn't have any gold glitter??? What is wrong with me!??!! Thank goodness I am only a few blocks from Target)!
I found some DIYthickers and added the gold glitter for a perfect touch!
I used some foam dots to pop the word "lucky" and added some lilybee design abcs for "my" and "charms". I love how the title turned out!

Speaking of love...I got this awesome flair in a happy mail package from Aimee Maddern! Wanna know a secret? I also got the green arrow washi. It wasn't part of the giveaway, but she used it in the packaging and I reused it! I know, right? ;-) I added some other washi, some enamel dots, and a fabric tag that I misted to complete the cluster.
for some reason some of these photos look like the orange could be red...there is no red...it's all orange
I hope you consider playing along with us at Scrap Your Story! This sketch was fun to use.

Coming soon : some news :-), a PL update, and some other funness. 

Later taters!

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous layout Orange! So glad to have discovered SYS...love all the glitter here and that misting looks fantastic! Just started following you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwwww! This is gorgeous! LOVING the masked background!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have thought to add he orange, but I like it with the green. It helps mix things up. Great LO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! This turned out so awesome!! I love the mix of the Orange and Green on your page!! And the Shamrock stencil turned out really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, LOVE the misting and the gold glitter totally rocks! Amazing page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the gold thickers!!! You did awesome with those! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still finding gold glitter all over...and it's been a week! :-)

      Delete
  7. WOW, I love this LO, great colors. I wish I wasnt so scared of color ;). Im really loving the stencil background -adding that is my must try techniques.
    Thanks for your words of wisdom its nice to know Im not alone in my struggles. Im going to walk away for a bit and maybe revisit it later.
    new follower, cant wait to see your other projects.
    ClaireR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing with us at Paper Issues! I am featuring your layout this evening on the blog!

    -Missy G

    ReplyDelete